2022 Wheeling CX Preview
November 10, 2022
- Gravel may be having a moment, but there’s still lots of life left in that grass. Cyclocross racing returns to Heritage Park cohosted by the Sasquatch Squadron powered by Main Street Bicycles and the Northbrook Garner Bicycle Club.
- Preliminary Staging will be posted here on Saturday. Please double check and email us if you see any errors.
- Got Health? Wheeling Park District is hosting a free Health Fair in the Community Center from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Check out the presentations, class demos (I see Spin), activities for kids’, screenings, and more. There may also be giveaways (more cowbell?); plus it’s heated. Public rest rooms with hot showers are also available. Get on their mailing list too: Cultural events, 5ks, free concerts, family activities, kids’ triathlons, beer tastings, etc. The fun happens year round, not just on race day.
- Pre-registration closes at 10:00 pm Friday. Race day entries will be available only through BikeReg for an additional $10 upcharge. Registration closes 30 minutes before the scheduled race time.
- Please park in the North Parking lot east of the course and not the angled parking lot adjacent to the Community Center.
- Mario’s Cart will be back on course serving tacos, nachos, and burrito bowls with a choice of protein.
- Lots of open grass and paved pathway for warming up, but as always, be mindful of pedestrians and other patrons of the park. Please refrain from riding and setting up tent in the pavilion grass.
- Staging is in the northeast corner nearest the North Parking lot access road. The finish line and registration are to the south of staging. The two-way pit is just east of the aquatic center. The course has 10-inch-high double barriers in the first half-mile. After dipping around the pool, a short stretch of pavement leads to higher ground.
- A shortened course will be utilized for the Junior 9-14 race at 11:25 am. The course will be directed back to the finish area before cresting Heritage hill on the southwest side of the course.
Men’s 45+ from today. Someone forgot to order the mud and biting wind. Not that I’m complaining.
Great race from today! Men’s 35+
Thanks for a fun time all!
Here’s Men’s 4 race video:
Great day for racing! Men’s Single Speed
I left my We Ride For Bikes WBF drawstring bag in the PSIMET tent. It had some Fizik shoes and a Chicago flag hat in it. Did anyone manage to grab it for Lost and Found before they left for the night?
Some shots from Sunday, mostly singlespeed, mens 123, and mens 4.
Lanterne Rouge from M45+…
Action begins at 2 minutes…
Is that you Jon? Thanks for recording, I finally found a video of myself.
And more pictures … Some Womens Cat 4/5, 1/2, 3/4 but mostly Mens Cat 1/2/3 and 4. Some Cat 5.
Matt Wehby, Deputy Director for the Wheeling Park District here – just wanted to pass along a note congratulating all the riders on a great event. Also wanted to let you know that this race, and you riders, will ALWAYS be welcome at Heritage Park. Our Board of Commissioners LOVE coming out and watching this event and they LOVE that the Wheeling Park District’s Heritage Park is the host location.
Thank you all for leaving the park like you found it – cleaned up and taken care of. We look forward to seeing you in 2023!
Thank you. Thank you the hospitality and the extremely kind words posted. We appreciate your venue so very much. It’s one of our favorites of any course we’ve seen.
Chicago Cyclocross Scene